A summary of our most current research projects and research project involvement below. Where applicable, project leads are in brackets.
- 2020-2023: ARCH4CHANGE: Digital climate change curriculum for architectural education: methods towards carbon neutrality. EU Erasmus+ funded, with four other partners in the EU: More info to follow. Consortium and project led by Sofie Pelsmakers.
- 2020-2022: 'Residential change - the potential of common and private spaces’ , a 2 year research project funded by YH Kodit housing foundation and YH Kodit housing company - Key researchers are Katja Maununaho, Tapio Kaasalainen, Sini Saarimaa and Elina Luotonen with Jyrki Tarpio and Sofie Pelsmakers.
- 2020-2021: Working from Home (WFH)- large collaborative study in Italy and Finland led by colleague Chiara Tagliaro at Politecnico di Milano offering expertise in office design and estate management, and Sofie Pelsmakers and Tapio Kaasalainen in Finland offering housing design expertise. Aim is to understand implications for home and office design due to increased home working due to COVID19.
- 2020-2021: 'Low impact, low energy housing and neighbourhoods in the Häme region' with Panu Lehtovuori (PI) and Jyrki Tarpio and Sofie Pelsmakers, 12 month design, research and development project with Kante-Häme, EU Regional Development Funding
- 'Co-constructing a Finnish Energy Observatory (FeNO)', with Harriet Thomson and Karla Ricalde at Birmingham University, together with Raul Castano-Rosa and Sofie Pelsmakers at ASUTUT received funding to to be held in May 2020, funded by the ESRC Impact Acceleration Account (IAA).
- 2020-2022: 'Carbon Neutral Development Through Net Zero and Net Impact Design’ with Prof Ming Hu at Maryland University, to compare US and Finnish, and other European nZEB standards; she will stay with us at Tampere University in 2021.
- 2020: Tall Residential Timber Buildings in Finland (Emre Ilgin with Markku Karjalainen, Sofie Pelsmakers, Jyrki Tarpio)
- 2019- present: What is holistic Nordic Sustainable housing? (Sofie Pelsmakers & Jyrki Tarpio, with transnational research group Nordic Sustainable Architecture)
- 2018- present: Nordic Sustainable Architecture (Transnational research group, Finland member Sofie Pelsmakers)
- 2019-2020: Miksi Turkuun? Kaupunkiasumisen houkuttelevuus asukkaan näkökulmasta. Multidimensional understanding of housing aspirations (Sini Saarimaa)
- 2019-present: summer-time building overheating: vulnerability and building solutions, focus on Nordic region (Raul Castano Rosa, Sofie Pelsmakers)
- 2018-present: Re-imagining ageing society, health and well-being and infrastructural renewal (Sofie Pelsmakers and Tapio Kaasalainen in collaboration with international and other TAU colleagues in Natural Sciences and Social Sciences) Sustainable Welfare Systems seed funding awarded by Tampere University.
- 2018- present: The role and value of architecture and architects in climate contingency, adaptation and our role in design, architectural design pedagogy and performance validation to support a more resilient world. (Sofie Pelsmakers)
- 2017 – present: Suspended timber ground floor heat loss and unintended consequences of building upgrades. (Sofie Pelsmakers)
- 2016-2019: Dwellers in Agile Cities & https://housingcookbook.com/ (Jyrki Tarpio and Katja Maununaho, Sini Saarimaa). The DAC project recognized future living needs and created measures and models for improving urban housing and development. Project defined the dweller as a key driver of urban development and change. Project was funded by the Academy of Finland, and won the first Tampere University Social Impact award.
- 2016-present: Characteristics of adaptive apartments in order to support person-environment fit (Sini Saarimaa)
- 2019-present: Cultural Encounters in Housing Environments – Cultural Diversity of Everyday Life in Urban Housing Design (Katja Maununaho)
- 2016-present: Current and future housing related challenges posed by population ageing (Tapio Kaasalianen)
- 2016-present: Architectural, spatial and passive design solutions for ecological sustainability in housing design (Taru Lehtinen)
- 2015- present: Energy, People Buildings: Architecture for a Changing World (Judit Kimpian, Hattie Hartman, Sofie Pelsmakers)
- Lähiökerrostalojen ja -asuntojen muutossuunnittelun mallit (MuutosMallit) Modification models for mass housing blocks and flats (ModificationModels)(Tapio Kaasalianen)
- Comprehensive development of nearly zero-energy municipal service buildings (COMBI)(Tapio Kaasalianen and Taru Lehtinen)
- International architectural workshop EmpatiAInternational. Empathy in architecture (Sini Saarimaa)
- ModCons: ‘Development of Modular Construction for Sustainable Design, Stability and Seismic Applications‘. (Sini Saarimaa)
- ModuLakea: ‘Asukaslähtöiset ratkaisut Lakea Oy:nmodulaarisessa asuntorakentamisessa‘ (Sini Saarimaa)
- Concells: ‘Innovative Modular Cell Design for Residential and Renovation Applications‘. (Sini Saarimaa)
- RYM Indoor Environment project’s work package on ‘User-centric indoor environment‘. (Sini Saarimaa)